Elisa Obeso discussed her daughter, Bianca Marquez, on the "Assistance to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill" Blogtalkradio show on February 27. AIMI broadcasts Wednesdays at 9pm PST, 10pm Mountain, 11pm Central, and 12 midnight EST. The call-in number is (818)572.2947. We endeavor to decriminalize mental illness by exposing and opposing mistreatment of mentally dysfunctional people like Bianca, who is presently suffering in solitary confinement in Arizona State Prison - Perryville, Lumley Unit.
Bianca is a 25-year-old mother with bipolar disorder, weighing only 110 pounds. Bianca says she has been brutally treated by prison guards: body slammed, Tasered, her front teeth were knocked out, and she was isolated numerous times during her incarceration. In fact, Bianca is in solitary confinement now. After two years of this ABUSE, the prison wants to lengthen Bianca's sentence for not being more cooperative. We say NO to prison investors. Imprisonment cannot help Bianca nor taxpayers. We need real solutions.
We discussed how passing Tim Murphy's congressional bill H.R.3717 would help people with serious mental illness like Bianca. Please listen to the interview with Elisa and share the link to the radio show (above) with your friends and online groups. Ask your representatives to co-sponsor H.R.3717.
Elisa Obeso asks that we also write letters on Bianca's behalf. She sent the following information:
1601 W. Jefferson, Phoenix, AZ 85007 - Phone: 602-542-5497
1) Name: Bianca Jazmin Marquez, inmate #268664, in the Lumley Unit at Arizona State Prison - Perryville in Goodyear, Az, 85395
2) Request to have officer Morris-Moore-Chavez/s removed from the unit that Bianca’s in - Lumley. All this is at Bianca’s request, and at ours. Due to the fact that this woman is not helping Bianca. She is only making things worse by not understanding her as a mentally ill person, and she is the MAIN cause of Bianca's outbreaks. As a result of this Bianca is under a lot of stress, and this is jeopardizing her health.
3) Request NO consolidated confinement for Bianca- NO ISO for mentally ill persons, as this is only increasing their depression.
4} Request that Bianca’s rights NOT be violated, as they have been till now ... and that she NOT be denied the papers that she needs to file grievances.
5) We are aware of all the physical abuse that has been taken against Bianca, and we request that stops immediately. Abuse from prison guards is deteriorating Bianca’s physical body and mental health.
6) Please make it clear that you support Bianca and will continue to help if further action is needed.
Although there were and still are abuses against mentally ill people, psychiatric treatment is superior to imprisonment and death-by-police. There have been improvements in psychiatric meds over the years, and most people with acute mental illness can live outside of a controlled environment if their conditions are properly monitored and treated effectively, such as under an assisted outpatient treatment (AOT) program.
The United Nations has declared long-term solitary confinement to be torture. New York State has agreed, after lawsuit by the New York Civil Liberties Union, to limiting its use of solitary confinement. It will no longer be used for minors or pregnant women, and the mentally ill cannot be isolated for more than 30 days. A United States Senate panel met in February 2014 to discuss solitary confinement, and the panel's decision is published in "Legal Victories" blog at the article called "Limiting Solitary Confinement in Corrections."
The people must insist on positive change. Why are police and correctional officers congratulated and shielded by the government for brutalizing and killing mental patients like my brother, Larry Neal? Why are mentally ill people warehoused in prisons, usually in solitary? Eugenics and psychiatry have a history dating from before WWII when hundreds of thousands of people labeled "mentally ill" in Germany were murdered en masse. See the film embedded below, showing that mistreating the mentally ill is Nazi.
Psychiatry and Racism - http://youtu.be/dJG_6uW7faY
It would be illegal to keep a dog in a tight space 23 hours a day and gas or Taser him for barking. It would be illegal to put a dog into a deadly restraint chair for control. But this happens to mentally ill Americans routinely in the nation's jails and prisons.
Treat mental illness medically, not legally.